The .org.au domain is for non-commercial organisations. You do not need an ABN to register a .org.au , you simply need to be an Australian organisation ie religious organisation, charity, student association, sports group, etc; you cannot be a commercial entity and register a .org.au domain.
Registration of a org.au domain without an ABN is at the discretion of the registrar. In a number of circumstances, it is understandable that applicants do not have an ABN or incorporation papers. Please submit online application with the name of your organisation, and an Australian address and when the system asks for an ABN or ACN choose "other" and enter "not required". If your application is not successful, you will be issued with a refund.
Company's cannot register .org.au domains. Only Australian organisations can register .org.au domains.
To be eligible for a org.au domain name, registrants must be generally be either:
- an association incorporated in any AustralianState or Territory; or
- a political party registered with the Australian Electoral Commission; or
- a trade union or other organisation registered under the Workplace Relations Act 1996; or
- a sporting or special interest club operating in Australia; or
- a charity operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation; or
- a non-profit organisation operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation.
If you do not fall into any of the above categories, you may still be able to register a .org.au .
Domain names in the org.au must
a) exactly match, acronym or abbreviation of the name of the registrant’s trading name, organization or association name or trademark; or
b) be otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.
.org.au domains be at least 2 characters long;
b) contain only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (-), or a combination of these;
c) start and end with a number or a letter, not a hyphen; and
d) not contain hyphens in the third and fourth position (eg. ab--cd.com.au).
How many .org.au domains can I register
There is no restriction on the number of domain names that may be licensed by a registrant. A registrant must simply meet the eligibility requirements to be able to register .org.au domain names.
If you do not have an ABN or ACN choose "other" and enter "not required"